This is one of my favorite breakfast recipes. I love the taste of peanut butter and jelly. It is a taste that takes me back to my childhood. PB&J is such a nostalgic flavor. This recipe will create 2 servings (or one very large serving) of overnight oats topped with naturally sweetened chia jam and almond butter. You will not have to use all of the jam and almond butter in your overnight oats. You can store those items and save them for future use.
This recipe requires a few different components. You will be creating your own sugar-free jam. This is simple and easy to make. It gets the sweetness right from the fruit and the raw honey.
Triple Berry Chia Jam
You will also be creating an almond butter. Let’s face it… nut butters can carry a hefty price tag. It is quite simple to make your own if you have the patience to get it properly blended up. The easiness of this step will rely heavily on the quality of your food processor. For me, it took a few minutes to get mine smooth and I also had to take a moment from processing to scrape the sides of the bowl and mix it up.
Your homemade almond butter can keep in the fridge for several weeks in an airtight container. You can also freeze it for up to four months. Once the almond butter is refrigerated you may need to warm it up a bit to get it to soften.
The overnight oats step in the recipe is the most simple. You will want to do this recipe the night before you plan on enjoying it. The oats need time to absorb the milk & maple syrup. They also need to soften up.
Ingredients for the oats:
- 1 cup of gluten-free oats (I used Bob’s Red Mill Quick Cooking Oats)
- 1 cup of dairy-free milk (I used Pacific Organics Unsweetened Vanilla Hemp Milk)
- 1 tablespoon of pure maple syrup
Ingredients for the jam:
- 1 1/2 cups fresh berries (I used raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries)
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon of raw honey
- splash of fresh lemon juice
Ingredients for the almond butter:
- 1 1/2 cup raw almonds
- Tablespoon of coconut oil
- Tablespoon of raw honey
- A teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- Let’s start off with the oats. This step is simple in easy. I use 1 cup of oats and place them in a Mason jar. Pour in the milk and the maple syrup. Give it a good stir. Allow this to chill in the fridge for a few hours so it can soften.
- Next step is to wash your fruit and place in a small saucepan with 1 tablespoon of raw honey and a splash of lemon juice. Use a medium heat setting.
- Warm the fruit up for a few minutes until it starts to break down easily and you can mash it up with a wooden spoon.
- Add in 2 tablespoons of chia seeds and stir until well incorporated.
- Continue cooking until this reduces down into a jam-like consistency.
- Allow the jam to cool in the fridge for an hour
- Now onto the almond butter! To make the nut butter you roast 1 1/2 cups of raw almonds in the oven for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Allow the nuts to cool after they come out of the oven and then place them in a food processor with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, 1 tablespoon of raw honey, and 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract.
- Use the high setting on your food processor and be patient during this step. It may take awhile to get the nuts creamy and smooth. If you need to add more coconut oil to the mixture do so with just a tiny bit.
- Your nut butter will start to ball up when it is ready. Give it a good stir to make sure it is well incorporated.
- After the oats have chilled and soften, top it with your homemade jam and almond butter. Enjoy!
If you are in a hurry and do not have time to make your own almond butter at home I would highly suggest opting for something that is low in sugars. Justin’s Classic Almond Butter has only 1 gram of sugar per serving. Maranatha is also a great go-to brand. Their almond butter has 3 grams of sugar per serving.
Hope you enjoyed this recipe! Let me know what you think in the comments below if you decide to give it a try.
Have you ever made overnight oats? Let me know in the comments!
Disclaimer: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. I do receive a small commission if items are purchased through these links. All opinions stated here are my own.
Leave a Reply