It really is starting to feel like autumn now and I have been craving this Teriyaki Pineapple Chicken dish all summer and I finally got around to whipping this dish up a couple nights ago. I created a pineapple dish with a sweet honey teriyaki sauce (the sauce is paleo compliant) with chicken breast and some ginger & orange quinoa. My daughter, Chloe, was super duper excited to chow down on this dish. It is so fun to eat your food out of a pineapple, right? This dish is gluten-free and will also be paleo if you just leave out the ginger/orange quinoa.
Dishes served like this are always memorable. It’s not too often that the opportunity arises to eat your meal out of a pineapple. I truly get joy out of preparing meals like this for my family. Not only is this dish super cool but it is also healthy and nutritious, most importantly!
Create something amazing and memorable for your family to enjoy! This dish will make you feel like you are swept away to an exotic tropical location.
Please note! This dish is not the type of dish that you want to create on a busy weeknight. It requires quite a bit of time and effort to create so you might want to set aside a good hour to prepare this meal. It also requires some multitasking. This would be a great dinner to get help from your partner or spouse. I did this alone but some help would have made the process a whole lot easier.
The recipe requires two whole, fresh pineapples and the recipe will create enough servings for a family of four.
- 3 chicken breasts cubed
- 2 whole pineapples sliced in half and core removed. Reserve cubes of pineapple for the dish.
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 1 cup orange juice for quinoa and 1/4 cup for the sauce so a total of 1 1/4 cups OJ
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons of grated fresh ginger (for sauce) and 1 tablespoon (for quinoa)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil for sauce and 3 tablespoons for chicken – 4 tbs total
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 or whole green bell pepper
- 1/2 white onion
- 1 1/2 cups arrowroot starch
- 1 cup water
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Salt to taste
- Prep your ingredients. It is best to gather them all at once and have them ready.
- Cube chicken and place in bag with 1 1/2 cups arrowroot starch to coat chicken completely. (Arrowroot starch is gluten-free.)
- Prepare quinoa. Place 1 cup water and 1 cup of orange juice in a medium pan with 1 cup of quinoa. Cook according to package directions. I brought mine to a boil then turned down to low with a lid over it for appx 20 minutes.
- Prepare teriyaki sauce. Place coconut aminos, 1/4 cup orange juice, apple cider vinegar, minced garlic, freshly grated ginger, sesame oil, and raw honey in a small or medium pan. Bring to a boil then simmer on slow while cooking chicken.
- Prepare pineapple. Slice both in half. Core the pineapple and discard core. Score the pineapple and then dig out the cubes of pineapple. Set aside.
- Place 3 tablespoons of sesame oil in a large skillet and warm. Add coated chicken when oil is warm. Cook chicken completely and looks crispy and browned a bit.
- While chicken is cooking you made add a bit of salt to taste. Then add onions, sliced bell pepper, and cubed pineapple. Continue cooking until pepper and onions are softened and chicken is cooked completely.
- Add the sauce to the skillet. Cook on medium until sauce reduces a bit.
- Your quinoa should be completely cooked at this point. Place the quinoa in the pineapple half.
- Top the quinoa with chicken/sauce, pepper, pineapple, and onion mixture.
- Season the dish with red pepper flakes. Don’t go too crazy with them unless, of course, you like your dish spicy.
- Serve, eat, and enjoy!
I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as my family did. I am still fairly new at blogging so I hope this recipe comes across pretty clearly. If you have any questions about it please feel free to reach out to me.
What unique ways do you serve food? Leave me a comment and let me know.
DISCLAIMER: THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS. I DO RECEIVE A SMALL COMMISSION IF ITEMS ARE PURCHASED THROUGH THESE LINKS. THIS HELPS MAKE FOR A BETTER BLOG EXPERIENCE FOR ALL OF MY READERS. ALL PROCEEDS GO TOWARDS MAKING IMPROVEMENTS ON THIS BLOG.