Wondering how I naturally obtained this lovely shade of hot pink in my bowl of nice-cream (vegan ice-cream)?? Easy! I owe it all to the cactus pear. The flesh of a cactus pear, when combined with a banana, will give you this gorgeous magenta hue. This cactus pear nice-cream is healthy dessert that will most definitely make your child excited for a yummy treat that is naturally sweet from nature with no added sugars. Other ingredients in this frozen treat are frozen pomegranate, two frozen bananas, and some coconut milk. This is a much healthier alternative to tradtional ice-cream and I always enjoy creating this and serving it at home. Super simple and easy to do too!
Nice-cream is the vegan and paleo version of ice-cream. It is dairy-free and lactose-free.
A good food processor comes in handy for making vegan nice-creams at home. You will also want to prepare in advance for making this by freezing two sliced up bananas overnight. Also, chill a can of full-fat coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight for best results. If you have a can of coconut cream on-hand that makes for even better results, a lot more creamy, but coconut cream is usually around $4 a can and coconut milk works just fine.
The Enjoy Life Foods Dark Raspberry Protein Bites were a wise choice here as a nice-cream topping. I chopped them up small and placed them on top. The dark raspberry flavor is actually my favorite flavor of all the Protein Bites and it paired nicely with the flavors of the cactus pear and pomegranate. It also gave this bowl of nice-cream a boost in protein, which is always welcome, especially if you are following a vegan diet.
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 cactus pear
- 1/2 cup of frozen pomegranate
- 6 Enjoy Life Foods Dark Raspberry Protein Bites
- 1/2 cup chilled (in the fridge) full-fat organic coconut milk
- Combine the frozen banana with the flesh of a peeled cactus pear, pomegranate, and full-fat coconut milk in a food processor. Try to use as much of the thick coconut in the can and avoid the liquid.
- Blend up in a food processor on high until the frozen components are broken down and you achieve a smooth consistency.
- You may have to stop the food processor a few times and move the frozen banana around with a soft spatula.
- Remove nice-cream from the food processor bowl.
- Chop up Enjoy Life Foods Dark Raspberry Protein Bites into small pieces.
- Equally, divide nice-cream into 2-3 bowls. and top with chopped Protein Bites/
- Eat and enjoy!
I do believe that you will love this hot-pink nice cream if you decide to give it a whirl. It is super unique in its flavor and unlike anything I have ever tried! I am extremely happy with the results of mixing these ingredients together. I was not sure what the outcome would be, but I got brave in the kitchen and I have no regrets!
If you are looking for a healthier alternative to ice-cream that is dairy-free and contains no added sugars, you should try making nice creams at home. They are very versatile and you can get creative by whipping them up and experimenting with different ingredients. As a base, I usually use two frozen bananas and make sure I have a can of chilled coconut milk (it must be full-fat and not light coconut milk) on-hand to make this. This will result in approximately 2-3 servings. Most often it is just my daughter and I sharing but sometimes my hubby wants some too.
You can read more about the Enjoy Life Foods Protein Bites on a previous blog post:
Shop at Amazon:Â
Have you ever tried nice-cream? How do you like to create yours? Leave me a comment and let me know.
DISCLAIMER: THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS. I DO RECEIVE A SMALL COMMISSION IF ITEMS ARE PURCHASED THROUGH THESE LINKS. THIS HELPS MAKE FOR A BETTER BLOG EXPERIENCE FOR ALL OF MY READERS. ALL PROCEEDS GO TOWARDS MAKING IMPROVEMENTS ON THIS BLOG.