In this post I will discuss how I made a collagen smoothie bowl with cacao, coconut, and granola. Hope you enjoy!
One of my favorite Thunderbird Bars is the Cacao + Hemp + Walnut. I am a sucker for anything chocolate and this bar wins me over big time! This bar is paleo and vegan friendly. Thunderbird Bar does not mess around with any crap ingredients. What you get in a Thunderbird Bar is REAL FOOD.
I will tell you the ingredients so you can see for yourself:
- Hemp seeds
- Coconut shreds
- Cacao nibs
- Chia seeds
- and Himalayan sea salt
But how on Earth can something like chocolate be good for you? Chocolate gets a bad reputation often and gets classified as junk food. If you consume chocolate in it’s purest form it is surprisingly great for you!
I am going to talk about the health benefits now:
- Cacao is chock full of antioxidants. Antioxidants combat cancer invasion and can be used as a preventative measure of cancer. It can help prevent a decline in the aging process.
- Cacao is an iron powerhouse. Of all the plants in the universe, cacao has the most iron. If you are anemic cacao can be used to boost iron intake.
- Cacao is high in magnesium
- Cacao is high in calcium (more than cow’s milk!)
- Cacao is known to be a mood elevator and can help lift you out of a bad day
- Cacao has fiber. The brand that I used has 2g of fiber per tablespoon.
- Cacao is free of sugar!
- Cacao contains vitamin C. The cacao that I had has 10% of your daily value.
So I got inspired by the cacao in my Thunderbird Bar and made myself a cacao smoothie bowl with shredded coconut and granola. I also added in some collagen & protein with my Primal Kitchen Collagen Fuel.
Here is how I made it… RECIPE!
- 2 small frozen bananas
- 1 tablespoon of cacao powder (I use the brand LivFit)
- 1 scoop of Primal Kitchen Vanilla Coconut Collagen Fuel
- 1/3 cup full fat coconut milk
- Sprinkle of shredded coconut
- Small handful of granola
- Place two small frozen bananas in the blender
- Add 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- Pour in approximately 1/3 cup of full fat coconut milk
- Pour into a bowl and top with coconut and granola
- Dig in and enjoy!
Smoothie bowls are always a great way to start the day. They are filling and nutritious. Whenever I consume a smoothie bowl with cacao powder it is so true about it being a mood elevator. I just have a wave of goodness sweep over me and make my day a great, productive one.
The great thing about this bowl too is that there is no added sugar. The sweetness comes from the bananas and the toppings. The cacao powder, as mentioned earlier, does not contain any sugar in it. It is pure chocolate.
So what do you think? Will you be grabbing a bag of cacao powder for your pantry. It is versatile and can be used for many things. I enjoy using it to make vegan nice-creams (ice-cream).
You can find cacao powder of Amazon. This is a one pound bag and will last you a very long time!