Yesterday and the day before were both dreary, overcast days in Michigan. I really needed a plateful of something to cheer me up. In times of need, we often turn to comfort food. Pancakes, for me, definitely fit the bill for that! I also decided to inject some color to them for added smiles!Â I have been opting for more gluten-free food products in my diet. I have been feeling a whole lot better both physically and mentally. I have been keeping track of my diet and I have come to the conclusion that gluten somehow affects my mood and I often feel run down and fatigued. So for now I am just doing my best to avoid it and keep my gluten intake at a minimal amount.Â I am a big fan of Enjoy Life Foods products. I am currently obsessed with the dark chocolate chips and it is the only brand I buy now. They offer a line of gluten-free, vegan, products that are free from several other allergens (wheat, peanuts, tree nuts, dairy, casein, soy, egg, sesame, sulfites, lupin, mustard, fish, shellfish & crustaceans). Their products are created in an allergen-free facility. You can enjoy their foods with confidence that they will do your body good.
I tried out the pancake and waffle mix a couple times before and my daughter and I loved the finished product. They don’t hold up well for waffles but they do make a wonderful pancake. The taste of these pancakes was on point! I would never even know they were gluten-free because they taste just like regular pancakes.
I wanted to amp it up a bit so I swapped out the water and used Bolthouse Farms Unsweetened Plant Protein Milk instead. An 8 oz serving of this milk is a whopping 10 grams of protein. I also used a mashed banana in the mix to add in some fiber. A banana has approximately 3 grams of fiber.
I also added some Simple Truth natural food coloring to the pancake mix. I am not a fan of artificial dyes in my food so I wanted to give this a whirl. Unfortunately, the colors are not as vibrant as the artificial ones but they are still fun to eat. Next time I make these I will experiment more with the amount I use (probably needed to use more). The batter was colorful and bright but when the pancakes were cooked the color faded. Perhaps you will have more luck with the colors!
Now let’s get busy with the recipe!
- 1 1/2 cups Enjoy Life Pancake & Waffle Mix
- 1 1/2 cups Bolthouse Farms Plant Protein Milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 mashed banana
- Simple Truth Natural Food Color
- Pure maple syrup (optional)
- Candy Sprinkles (optional)
- Prepare your batter by placing the mix, milk, and oil into the bowl and stir until no lumps remain.
- Mash 1/2 of a ripe banana and then incorporate this into the mix.
- Using 6 bowls, place a small amount of batter into each bowl and add food coloring to each bowl until you have red, orange (red & yellow combined), yellow, green (blue & yellow), blue, and purple (red & blue).
- Warm up a tiny bit of coconut oil in a pan, just enough to give it a thin non-stick coating.
- Place the batter into the skillet or griddle one color at a time. You may have to do a couple batches to get all 6 pancakes cooked. I used two large skillets simultaneously with 3 colors in each pan.
- Cook the pancakes on a medium setting. Flip the pancakes when the edges are noticeably formed. After flipping continue cooking until thoroughly cooked.
- Remove pancakes from pan and top with maple syrup and/or candy sprinkles. Enjoy!
Hope you enjoy this fun recipe for gluten-free pancakes! What Enjoy Life Foods product do you think you would enjoy? Check them out RIGHT HERE!
Click the Rafflecopter link below to enter to win a $15 Amazon gift card so you can purchase some Enjoy Life Foods products!
CLICK HERE —> http://www.rafflecopter.com/rafl/display/b7225bc83/?
Use the Store Locator to find Enjoy Life products near you.
You can purchase this pancake and waffle mix on Amazon.